Saturday, December 8, 2018

European Excursions


Well I’m on a 10 day European vacation and it’s been just wonderful so far. Today marks about the halfway point, and I’ve been mostly in and around London. England is absolutely gorgeous. I’m staying about 40 minute’s train ride from the excitement of central London, and since the hotel is in the countryside I can have my choice of urban exploration or a quiet, peaceful walk. It really is the perfect spot.

Today I think I rather fancy a relaxed day here at the Stoke Park Golf Course. The grounds are beautiful, and even the three mile walk to town is pleasant, regardless of whether you planned to walk it or just couldn’t find your bus stop. Slough is the name of the town. It’s all green fields, old stone and brick wall fences, and houses each with their own names like “Wakerly Manor”, and “Lion Lodge North”. Exactly what you’d imagine the English countryside to be like.

I got a little lost the other morning and found a sign marked “public footpath” which took me off the sidewalk, through some trees and into a soggy-ish field of tall grass and old trees with crooked branches. There, off to the left, was a large memorial. It was quite creepy once I read what the monument said. But I should let you all judge for yourself.

                BENEATH THOSE RUGGED ELMS, THAT YEW-TREES SHADE.
                WHERE HEAVES THE TURN IN MANY A MOULDERING HEAP.
                EACH IN HIS NARROW CELL FOR EVER LAID.
                THE RUDE FOREFATHERS OF THE HAMLET SLEEP.

                THE BOAST OF HERALDRY, THE POMP OF POWER,
                AND ALL THAT BEAUTY, ALL THAT WEALTH E’ER GAVE.
                AWAIT ALIKE THE INEVITABLE HOUR:
                THE PATHS OF GLORY LEAD BUT TO THE GRAVE.

It was clear to me that this marked the spot where some people either died or were buried. Between the words on the monument, the old trees, and the fact that I was in a field away from town I got a little case of the heebie-jeebies. I didn’t stick around. I wanted to get to the train and head into the city, but as I walked away I thought of how it would make a great place to ghost hunt after dark if you were into that sort of thing.

The first day I was in London I did a lot of sightseeing. I went to Big Ben, the London Eye, Westminster Abbey, 221B Baker Street, Buckingham Palace, and even bought myself a ticket to the London Philharmonic, which was my first time going to the orchestra. But I did all of that alone; I was by myself. I don’t mind that, not at all. In fact I quite enjoy it. But I do still want human conversation and interaction while I’m out exploring. You spend 10 hours walking around looking at stuff and passing thousands of people but you don’t have a conversation with anyone, it feels a little lonely.

So when I set out yesterday, I was feeling especially social, and I talked to loads of people. I got into Paddington Station around noon and did some walking around there. There’s a canal with little boats harbored all along it, some of them are cafés or restaurants. It’s very charming; they call it Little Venice. I came to this square where they had a few ping pong tables under a bridge, a memorial statue, places to sit and various other things typical of a square. I also saw this strange egg-shaped thing.

Now this egg first made me curious, and then very happy. I had no idea how much fun it would turn out to be. It was about the size of one of those spinning strawberries they have at amusement parks, it reminded me of those very much. It was just sitting there in the square, with a little opening to go into it. When you got inside of it, there was a bench all the way around for you to sit. They called it a sanctuary. On the stickers inside it said it was a spot to draw, write, play music, etc. and you could connect to it via Bluetooth and play music from your phone! Oh, I had a hay day. The sound was great in there. Once I got my music on I was having so much fun. I was in there singing, journaling, smiling at passersby like a weirdo… having a real good time for 30 minutes or more. Obviously an amazing start to my day.

Anyway the day went on after that. I walked around and went into shops, talked to folks and enjoyed myself lots before the best bit even came. It was after dark and I was going to meet up with someone who is a friend of a friend. When I lived in Jersey I had a flatmate from the U.K. who became like family to me. Kyan was raised here and studied contemporary dance before moving to the states to work as a professional performer in Philadelphia. When he saw that I was in London he offered to connect me to some of his friends. Any friend of Kyan’s is a friend of mine, he’s an excellent human being.

Well it happens that one of his friends, Jack, wanted to meet me but was working all day. He invited me to come to the bar where he works to at least say hello. Now, I love a good bar when I’m by myself and in a social mood; you can have so much fun just making friends! But when the bar is a fancy upscale spot on the 43rd floor of The Shard, a famous London skyscraper, well that just makes it even better!

Oblix was amazing. The view was absolutely breathtaking. Of course for a bar that advertises the best view of London (and rightly so) it was all windows. It truly was a sight to be seen. Absolutely divine.
Plus, it was a cultural gold mine in there. So many English friends to be made, I was in socialite heaven. Oh, and I had fun with it. I made great friends with the two bartenders who explained every fancy drink garnish and infused whisky I asked about. They let me try their homemade chocolate coconut cream, which is served warm on top of a cocktail and is in one of those CO2 containers they make homemade whipped cream in. It was delightful. They also chipped off a chunk of ice from a huge block (and this was by far the clearest ice I’ve ever seen) using a chisel and a mallet. Then they used a small tool with three tines to whack at the ice until it was in small enough pieces to fit in a tall rocks glass. I was amazed. This bar had all kinds of fancy tricks and things. We got along very well for a while, Aganieshka from Poland and Mikel from Slovokia were good friends of mine by the end of the night.

As were William and Richard, two lawyers and old friends who were out to celebrate Richard’s retirement. We had so much fun talking and getting along together that when they left the bar to find some food, I went with them. We all settled down into a restaurant up the street and ordered appetizers and another drink and talked politics, culture, and social structure until they responsibly looked up the train schedule to ensure I would eventually get home safely. It was two hours from that point to when I did, but I made friends on the trains and then with a man named Tony who was down on his luck at the bus station.

Finally, around 2 am, I thought it best to catch a taxi back to the hotel and call it a night. So that’s just what I did. Called it a night. Only because I had to. There was no one else I could talk to, I had exhausted my supply of strangers at that point. But it was all okay. I had the greatest time! And I definitely got my share of both exploring alone and befriending and socializing with strangers. England has been a joy, I truly loved it.







Happy egg

Skylight in the happy egg

Little Venice