Monday, June 3, 2019

Do All the Things

I often find myself in the midst of these manic moods that last for weeks where I try to do all the things in life. I start new projects, sign up for classes, take up a new hobby, etc... and of course, all at once.
Right now I'm working more than anything else combined, sacrificing food and rest when necessary. I made more than $1,000 this week because I've made room for odd jobs in my schedule wherever there's an empty spot. Which, one on hand, is nice because it's exactly what I need, but on the other hand, with only one half-day off in a two week period, dedicated to catching up on laundry and grocery shopping, I'm feeling a little tired.
I hate to complain about these types of things. After all, there are some out there without a job who wish they had, and I have more work than I have hours in the day. Plus, I brought all this on myself and even sought it out. But it does make me question whether I have become a slave to east coast, American culture, joining the rat race and working too much, not having time to do much else. Yesterday, after a day of interior house-painting work, I stayed home to rest instead of accepting the free concert tickets a friend gave me. I know I haven't been out of the house much lately because there are no recent pictures on my phone and I can hardly remember the last 10 days. Again, I'm not complaining. It's only been a select amount of time, it's just curious to me how it has transpired without me being totally conscious of it.
In any case, I've been working, and I'm grateful. I've also been trying to find the time to do things I'm passionate about in between, although they're more like work-things, too. I've been thinking about writing and illustrating a children's book for a little while now. Earlier this year I wanted to write a novel, but I know I don't have the time, stability, or dedication for that at this point in my life. Maybe in a couple years. But I do enjoy children's books a lot; I read them often since I'm a nanny. I've even found myself checking them out at the library, not for my kids, but for me.
There are certain ones that do leave an impression on me. You can move people with a children's book, it doesn't have to be immature or silly. It can be profound and important; in fact, many are. So I have an idea and a concept for a children's book, and I'd like to illustrate it myself (I'm not an amazing artist, but I do like to mess around with watercolor and I think I could do a decent enough job at it), and although I don't know what my timeline is for this project, I'm sure I'll figure out how to make it happen. Luckily, I have a friend here in Jersey who is a writer. I've already pitched the idea and she's agreed to help me write it. I hope I can stay committed to it and that it comes to fruition, because imagine being a published author!
I also decided to start my own podcast. I have so many things to say and share. I want to teach people how to learn a second language for free, I want to share all of the great resources there are out there! I also want to talk about culture and share the connections I've made from all over and some of the things I have learned. I have so many episodes planned, from how to manage finances before and during travels, to which apps to use to learn new languages, and interviews with people from all over the place.
The podcast is called TraveLingo and it'll be up on Spotify soon, hopefully followed by Apple Podcasts. You can also listen here on the blog, as it will send the post automatically. You can subscribe to my blog by clicking "Subscribe" at the top of the page, and you'll get an email when I make a new post.
This week I'm going to relax a bit, and take the evenings off to stay at home, cook meals, and take care of myself more.
Do you guys ever feel like doing all the things? Does anyone else experience these manic episodes of "don't have time to sleep"?
In a way, I think it's a good thing. It may be a little taxing but I'm alright, and I'm getting a lot done, and doing big things that make me feel like I'm contributing to something. If not contributing, at least expressing myself in a tangible way and putting it out into the world.
Let me know what you guys think. Email me at alimaglaughlin@gmail.com, or comment on the thread. And subscribe to my podcast! (But if you do, I'll ask for feedback. Prepare to be brutally honest.)