Tuesday, July 14, 2020

America from a Distance

I was recently speaking with a Dutch friend of mine about the current state of America.


I haven't spoken or written about it much in the last few weeks. I wanted to hit the issue hard when the death of George Floyd spurred millions into action and left millions of others confused, but listening. I even have a podcast episode recorded, what was supposed to be the first in a series about the systems in America that do NOT serve the American people, that I haven't even edited, though it's weeks old. Unfortunately, my schedule just straight up doesn't allow for it right now. I struggled with the guilt of that for a while, but as an Au Pair who works 30 hours a week already for very little pay, plus developing my own sources of income via freelance work online, I already have enough to make myself crazy with. I have to move from this place in 6 weeks, and I need to focus on making arrangements for where I will go after this. But I feel that I must do something to make America better, and that's what I told my friend today as we went back and forth over the problems America faces and why they are such complicated issues.

One huge problem I see, I tell him, is that so many Americans have no idea how bad they have it.

This is interesting when you think about how foreigners view America. They chuckle at us a lot. We are loud, we are proud; we are in your face.

I actually like that about my country, but when pride is paired with ignorance, it just isn't a good look. Foreigners laugh and shake their heads at America and say things like, "We don't understand why these policies are still in place. Not only are they still in place, but you Americans support them." Ok, I adlibbed this, but I've gotten a lot of chuckles and head shakes and "I don't understand"s, so I'm taking this liberty.

I think it has something to do with the fact that Americans have no idea what happens outside of our borders. It's almost frowned upon if you do. That goes against our belief that America is the best. If you think any other country does anything better, you should just move there! ...The adult equivalent of "If you love it so much then why don't you marry it?" It's sometimes just as easy to legally marry your favorite dessert as it is to immigrate to a new country. Seriously... Have you ever applied for a visa anywhere? Well, a lot of other countries have health care and infrastructures that actually work, so if you can't prove on paper that you're going to financially or educationally contribute to their society, they probably won't let you just move there. So... we should probably make our country better.

But again, there are SO MANY PEOPLE who don't think our country needs to get better. And it comes down to the fact that we don't know how bad we have it. Because we don't know what other countries are doing. Most Europeans can tell you quite a bit about America; about our policies, our current events, our culture, the problems we face, the things that work well... Is it because America is just that important? Maybe it's because we're just that loud. Maybe it's because citizens of other first world countries are more educated, well-traveled, culturally sensitive, and rational than we are. America might be better than some third world countries, but we're definitely not the best of the first world countries just because we're the biggest.

Europeans do have opportunity over us. With America being as incredibly vast as it is, we don't come in contact with other cultures, other societies, to see how they do things. It's allowed us to carry on the idea that America is the only country that matters. Which countries border us? Mexico and Canada. Far north and far south. A LOT of us have never been. MOST of us couldn't tell you anything about their history, their government, their social systems, or their cultures, much less other countries around the world. This can be very dangerous, because the government can get away with murder if none of its citizens knows there's more out there. I think they probably know this. I'm not under the impression that the education system receives budget cuts because uneducated or undereducated members of society is actually what's best for America. And same goes with patriotism. It's in the powerful persons interest to support the notion that America is the best and most kickass country in the world, and that anyone who argues doesn't belong. It keeps everyone from looking around and going, "Wait... you're not looking out for me. You're looking out for yourself!"

We don't do that enough in the U.S.
We don't question our government. Instead, we blame our neighbor that VOTED for THAT GUY who enacted that STUPID policy that's holding us all down!!!! We place zero responsibility on the government. The responsibility is all on the American people. It's your responsibility to feed and clothe yourself. It's your responsibility to earn your own opportunities. It's your responsibility to pick your own self up when you're down. Its your responsibility to pay for your mistakes. It's your responsibility to break your back, give your entire life to fighting and working for a place in the world. Meanwhile, there other societies who don't have to fight so hard, and still reap the benefits. We don't HAVE to do it all ourselves (and to be honest, that way of living is unsustainable). Some of them actually work together. And look out for each other. And don't shame one another about every damn thing.

Is it that crazy of an thought that somewhere in the world, someone might have had a great idea that America hadn't thought of yet? Shouldn't we just see?