Friday, July 31, 2020

Camping in Europe for a Week

Hey everyone!
How are you all holding up?
I’m doing okay - some days are better than others. This week is already off to a fabulous start!

I’m on a little vacation! I’m camping in South Holland for a week, and it’s my first time camping in Europe. I had never occurred to me that it would be much different from the camping I knew, but in the week or two leading up to our trip, I started to get the impression that it wasn’t the type of camping I was used to. From some of the pictures I’d seen of the camping area and whatever I heard from my host parents and other Dutchies, I knew it was gunna be an experience unlike one I’d had before.

Yesterday, as I hung the laundry on the line, my neighbor and I had a chat about it. He’s a Dutchie, born and raised, not yet having visited the states. “I’m excited to see what it’s like as opposed to camping in the U.S.” I said to him. “Probably about the same,” he remarked.

“Nooooo, I don’t think so. For one thing, I know they’re going to have showers and bathrooms there, and most of the camping I’ve done has been in the mountains and... there are no facilities.”

We continued to chat as he explained that camping in Europe can be very social, because everyone in the campground is on vacation mode and just walking around. He didn't realize our idea of camping is much, much, different. From what he described, I was reminded of the huge family reunion we have every other year on my dad's side. And indeed, it feels a bit like that. A few hundred people gather on a ranch in Idaho and camp for the weekend, put on various activities, either catch up with old family members or meet new ones, or maybe run down to the creek with a cousin, aunt, or straggler neighborhood kid that tagged along with so-and-so.... But we don’t have a bar or tennis courts at our family reunion.

I’m here now, it’s our first night in the campground, which is more like an RV park on steroids. You’ll see what I mean if you stay tuned - I’m going to blog throughout the week, posting pictures of the place.

It’s AMAZING. I don’t even feel guilty about glamping here. At all. It’s like a budget resort, guys. I could live here. 
As soon as we pulled up, we came upon the welcome building, and I immediately saw a few playsets, a giant trampoline and three different sized pools in the flat expanse behind it. I was amazed already, a pool? Camping? And it was getting crazier by the second. I saw other buildings, and mini golf to the left. What else could this campground hold? 

After my host dad checked us in, we followed a golf cart to our reserved campsite, passing trailer neighborhoods and speeltuins, playgrounds, on the way. Maciah sat in the front seat looking at the map they provided and checking out the two decks of cards they gave us for free.

We pulled in to our designated spot and cut the engine. The kids snacked, the dogs got a little walk, and we began setting up tents and various camp equipment. It’s now dark out, 11pm, and I’m sat outside the tent I share with Maciah, connected to WiFi and writing this on my blog. After dinner at the snack bar, Maciah and I swam in the pool, jumped on a giant bubble trampoline, and took a tour through some trailer neighborhoods with porchscapes that are seriously home design magazine worthy. Pics. To. Come.

I’m excited to do some more glamping and blogging. Can’t wait to share more of this place with you guys.


Xx Alison

Have you ever been camping in Europe? Where at? What was it like? Share your experience in the comments below!


Lekker luien in de tent / tasty lazing in the tent

Zneck bar dinner - a croket in a hamburger bun with mustard on the side..
That’s how the Dutch do it. 

And frites! Lots of frites!