Wednesday, August 26, 2020

How I Visit Art Galleries from Anywhere in the World

    One thing that I love to do when I’m exploring a city is go to a few art galleries. I love to see local and living artist’s work, especially when it depicts the city I'm in or the surrounding landscape from the artist's point of view.

Me at an art gallery in New York last year.

Me at an art gallery in Amsterdam.

One of my favorite people ever in an art gallery in New York.


    So far my favorite city for art, whether in a gallery or on a building, is Philly.

Somewhere in South Philly.

And in Center City Philadelphia, featuring the lovely and elusive Kyan.

When I lived in a hostel in Philadelphia, I was right in the Art District, where loads of local art galleries could be found with amazing and interesting art inside. I found a few that were my favorites and would pop in every few weeks, checking out the current show and lingering on the pieces I found interesting. How did the artist do that? With what medium? What did they draw first? When did they add this detail? 

One art piece seen at Arch Street Arts.


    I miss going to my favorite galleries. One in particular is called Arch Enemy Arts (you can find them here), and it was always filled with oddities - off beat art painted on plaques or carved out of clay. Ribcages and blooming flowers. Tiny details and intricate designs.

    Another place I'd love to go art gallery visiting again is the Chelsea area of NYC, pictured earlier (and again below).



    Corona sure puts a damper on that. Also, not having a private jet... Gotta get on that.

    But one thing I’ve found lately that gives me just as much enjoyment is flipping through design magazines online, like this one called frrrresh.




     If you read my blog series a couple weeks ago, you know I was glamping in South Holland, and I used and abused the fact that I had WiFi, spending a lot of time on my phone, looking at cool art from my perch in the hammock. (I don’t feel bad about it.)

    
    I use the issuu app to find all kinds of publications: newspapers, magazines, reports, studies, and even textbooks. And a while ago I came across one magazine in particular that reminded me of that odd art gallery in Philly. I finally had the free time to flip through them, and I so enjoyed it. I’ll post some of my favorites below!

Note: To separate the artists, I've put a kiss in between each person's work. 👄 I am crediting all artists using the text provided in the magazine. If this is your art and you have a problem with it being published here, please email me at alimaglaughlin at gmail.com. Links to each artist's website is provided where possible.






👄








👄




👄







👄




👄




        I don't think I'll get that private jet anytime soon... I'd feel too guilty about the environmental impact, anyway... but until then, I'm going to tickle my fancy with visual arts magazines! There are several issues of frrresh I haven't even opened yet. But when I finish with those, I'll need some new material. 

     Any ideas? If you've got magazines to share, post them in the comments below!
   
    If you liked this post, consider sharing with friends and followers. It really helps me and the artists out. *wink*

Hope you enjoyed!
Xx Alison